The first hotel and casino in Las Vegas – Meadows Club, c. 1931.
"A fashionable clubhouse located on the desert near Las Vegas, where gay throngs gather nightly to dine, dance and enjoy the romance and freedom of Nevada."
More than 10 years ahead of El Rancho Vegas and the Flamingo, Tony Cornero built the Meadows Club at Fremont St & Boulder Hwy weeks after gambling was legalized. The jointed burned and he went back to running illegal gambling boats in California before returning a few years later to open the SS Rex, downtown Vegas.
Club Bingo, 1947. The Las Vegas strip was still an empty highway in unincorporated territory in 1947 when Club Bingo opened, the same time as the Flamingo Hotel two miles south. It was demolished in 1952 to make way for the Sahara.
Frontier Hotel, early 1980s. Originally opening in 1942 as Hotel Last Frontier, it was the second resort on the Las Vegas strip, and the first with an all-encompassing theme. Closed and demolished in 2007. Today this site is an empty lot between the Wynn & Trump hotels. Photo: UNLV
The Silver Slipper, Las Vegas Blvd, 1968. Opened in 1950. Howard Hughes lived at the Desert Inn penthouse across the street in the late 60s. Paranoid about spies in the slipper, he purchased the casino in April 1968 and had it dismantled. Closed in 1988, the location is now an empty lot across from Encore.