The Silver Slipper, Las Vegas Blvd, Sep. 1950 - Nov. 1988.
The casino was built on the grounds of the Last Frontier Village of the Hotel Last Frontier, and was known for its rotating slipper that sat atop the casino.
In the 1960s, Howard Hughes lived at the Desert Inn penthouse across the street. Legend has it he worried he could be spied on by a camera in the toe of the slipper, and after several attempts at requesting that the slipper be turned off, in April 1968, he purchased the casino and dismantled the rotating mechanism.
The casino was purchased for $70 million on June 23, 1988 by Margaret Elardi, who by this time owned the Frontier. It was demolished several months later and turned into a very expensive parking lot. The Silver Slipper sign was restored and is now part of a display of vintage signs in the median along Las Vegas Boulevard North.
Silver Slipper: Location