The Flamingo Hotel, 1953. The neon sign and “Champagne Tower” were added in the hotel’s remodeling in 1952/1953.
Over the years, the Flamingo has remained in name only. Kirk Kerkorian purchased the Flamingo in 1967 and designed a new facade that eliminated the champagne tower and re-oriented the hotel to be parallel with the strip. In 1972 it was sold to Hilton Corp, who renovated further. The final end of the Flamingo as Bugsy Siegel knew came in 1993 when Hilton Corp. razed the motel-style buildings at the rear of the property, the fortress-like “Bugsy Suite” and bullet proof office used by the gangster before his death in 1946. These days the front of the Flamingo is a giant billboard. Location